Wanting to feel a little more prepared for your family photography session? No worries. Here are few thoughts to help you prepare and feel awesome about your family session.
- Pick out outfits that are comfortable first. This will help you feel comfortable.
I suggest flat shoes because my sessions are usually in grassy fields. Heels don’t work very well.
- Choose colors that are natural of nature. Deep yellows, whites and reds/burgandy pop great against the typically green backdrops of the outdoors.
- Matching isn’t necessary. Coordinating is better. Choose colors that look good together but don’t match each other.
- Texture and accessories are a nice detail bonus.
- Mom, you’ve done the work (most likely) to book your family session and this is an opportunity to shine! I love when moms are in dresses (if they like dresses) or an outfit they feel great in. Mom, go out and buy your outfit or choose your outfit out of your closet first. Choose something you feel awesome in and build everyone else outfits around yours.
- Avoid logos, words and neon colors.
- Bug spray because bugs. Ticks are a real thing at my outdoor sessions. I try to bring bug spray when I can.
- Drinks – Bring some water bottles, in the summer and fall heat it’s just so necessary.
- Eat beforehand. Not being hungry is one thing that helps littles cooperate.
- Bring a blanket. I often bring a blanket to doing sitting portraits but if you have a favorite quilt or blanket thats neutral in color than that’s great too.
But most importantly prepare by taking a breathe and not worrying. I will do my best to make you laugh or encourage you to make each other laugh. You don’t have to request your littles to look at the camera the whole time or be good! I know how little ones are (I have two of my own) and I have done this plenty of times! I just want you to be excited and relaxed. Let’s have fun.